Friday, November 20, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Czech Folktales

I found a lot of similarities between the first half of this unit and some of the others.  I’m kinda mad at myself because I can’t remember the exact names of the folktales I’m thinking of.

I know that The Three Roses is similar to the original telling of the The Beauty and the Beast – a merchant seeks shelter during the night in a seemingly abandoned castle.  He then wanders into the garden and finds a rose bush and picks a rose for his youngest daughter. 

That’s when the beast comes out and tells him that since he picked the rose, the merchant was going to die.  The merchant successfully begged for his life and the beast told him that whoever greeted him first upon the merchant’s return home had to be brought back to the castle to live with the beast.

Granted, the merchant’s daughter never had to cut the beast’s head off.  Twice.

Also, the last line of this story is just pure awesome.  I like it because it invokes a sense that the narrator isn’t of this realm.  It makes this all seem like something that has happened on different plane of existence – say in a world where magic exists and it’s totally plausible to cut someone’s head off twice, after nursing them for three hours for three days, before they turn into a prince you get married to.

And now I wonder what this narrator sees in our world and if he wants to go back?  Maybe he's playing some hockey:

Tomáš Hertl

No comments:

Post a Comment